Monday 11 May 2015

How to not fail when you thought you had!

Date: May 2015
Place: Wallasey
Reason for fail: N/A

Jack left the test centre, got onto the main road, and a few seconds later, encountered a pedestrian crossing. The lights were flashing amber, and there was slow moving traffic.

He slowed right down, and as things started moving again, he brought his clutch up too quickly, and stalled.

Jack's reaction was to hit the brakes. In his mirror, he could see the vehicle behind him have to stop quickly.

"That's it", he thought. "Game over."

Convinced he'd failed, Jack continued around the test route. Since he'd already failed, he just got on with it and didn't try too hard.

Half an hour later, he pulled into the test centre, and the examiner said "That's the end of the test. I'm pleased to tell you that you've passed."

Jack's jaw dropped. He'd stalled, and the person behind him had to brake. Why hadn't he been given a serious fault?



To answer that question, we need to go back to a previous post.

http://howtofailyourdrivingtest.blogspot.co.uk/2011/06/righting-wrongs.html

On that occasion, the stall occurred at a roundabout. Once again the panic response to the stall was to brake, and once again people behind had to brake. But look at what was marked on the test sheet...

Reason for fail: Serious fault, Use of Mirrors - Change speed

Jack thought he'd failed because he could see in his mirror that the person behind had to slow down. And that meant he hadn't failed. He checked his mirror as he was stopping. So instead of getting a serious fault for not looking in his mirror before suddenly stopping, he got a minor fault for moving away under control.

4 comments:

  1. Superb article! I just loved reading this. You know I also have gone through all this. Now I have joined a local Port Macquarie Driving School to learn driving from the professionals. I really want to grab my driving license this time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi dear. Thanks for sharing the road test experience. It's really very top situation to pass the road test. I am living in Canada but I haven't made my driving license. So I have to give g and g2 road test. So now I am joining in Book road Test Online so that I will give my driving test in my center. Hope I will give my best there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing information posted here. One can also check the details of michelin tyres in pune only at Shree Tyres. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing, this is a really insightful post for those approaching their driving test. Small mistakes can easily put you off on the day so it's really important to stay focused when you're taking a UK driving test.

    ReplyDelete