Sunday 5 June 2011

Nerves!

Date of Test: Every time
Test Centre: All test centres
Reason for fail: Anything and everything


The vast majority of drivers take lessons from a professional instructor. These instructors are (or should be) teaching them to do the right things, and generally trying to present their pupils for test at the right time.

But the overall pass mark is only about 45%. More than half the candidates that turn up for a test go home disappointed.

So why doesn't it happen on the day?

Not everyone is nervous when they come to sit their driving test, but the vast majority of people are, to some extent.You're not alone!

Nervous people tend to rush things, which causes them to make mistakes, which then makes them more nervous. I try to keep a close eye on my pupils on their pre-test lesson, and if they are nervous, I try to get them doing things a bit slower than they want to. Sometimes, because this puts them back in control, it can help them to feel less nervous.

This is something that occurs right through the process of learning to drive, not just on your test. It's a huge part of my job, and I spend as much time trying to give my pupils the confidence to do what they need to do as I spend teaching them how to actually drive.

No comments:

Post a Comment